About Me

My photo
here I am in a little cottage that evokes the energies of my ancestral lands - a cottage on the moors of Cornwall, or on the cliff tops of Ireland or Scotland. It has a hearth. I am a hedge witch {of sorts}. I wear upcycled clothes, patchouli oil and Redback boots. I am a gypsy; an eccentric and a mystic [I often live with a foot in two worlds]. I serve my guests, tea from an old silver teapot. I love Vervain, yarrow, chamomile & mint. Star watcher and Moon gazer. story cloth weaver. keeper of family dreams and wishes. good friend and creator of life. herbal tea drinker and potion maker.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Lands End & Mousehole


today we visited Lands End. A place that I had heard various reviews about. I went expecting it to be boring. of course, as usual, I was wrong.

it was desolate. yes. Cold. yes. But there was something about it, that I felt as soon as I got out of the car... we were the only ones there.. we had the area to ourselves. Gale force winds and all.

I had come to Lands End to meditate actually. 12.12.12. So I went and found a rock, or rather the rock found me.. a large rock, sitting atop of the hill. wind howling around me, blowing straight through the two jackets that I had on and I could feel my body shivering. the wind rocked and buffeted me and I had visions of being blown off the cliff while grabbing at tufts of grass trying to get a hold..and I just sat with my eyes closed on the edge of the world. breathing.




a little time later, I walked and looked out at the ocean.
It was magnificent, wild.
I felt a sense of  'I'm back'....
 not at all emotional, just a sense of relief and settling.
 As if I had completed something.
A settling of spirit.

 
[evidence of middle stone age has been found at Lands End. dates between 8000 and 3000 BC. Nearby, a Neolithic grave entrance has been found]
 


I loved the place. I felt an affinity with it. With the rocks especially. The cliffs resonated with my spirit... and I do believe i lived here a long time ago.

then we left to travel back along the small coastal villages towards Marazion where i was going to a Taize Sacred Chant afternoon

first stop Minack Theatre.. amazing woman created amphitheatre built onto the side of the coastal cliff.

then to Mousehole. pronounced "Mowzul" or something similar.. tiny, tiny, twisty streets. I think this one has taken the award for narrowest, steepest, windiest streets we have visited! We wanted a cup of tea, but nothing was open. I don't understand the shopkeepers here either, they aren't very friendly.



then to Marazion for my afternoon. yet another Anglican Church which is more Catholic than some at home... and another Christmas tree display.. just beautiful.


"sitting in the church at Marazion, waiting for the chants to begin, I chatted with a local woman. very friendly and interested in my story of visiting Cornwall.. and she remarked that I must be missing home. It took all my effort to hold the tears in as I nodded yes.
I was beginning to realize that this is more than a pilgrimage to the land of my ancestors.. it is a spiritual journey for me... coming into these old, old churches is affecting me alot. .. and I hope that I can find this when I get home. .."

I am beginning to KNOW that it does not matter what you believe.. whether in the christian way, the earth/pagan way, a mix of a few beliefs or your own spirituality.. as long as it touches a deep part withing your being and brings peace.. then it is ok.. because no-one knows your own truth.

as we drove home.. we kept commenting on the shapes of the trees and how the ivy was growing up into them, making each tree look like a human form.. and I jotted down my observations on this:

and while Cornwall has some of the most beautiful scenery, and every little laneway is lined with trees. beautiful. But I am amazed, or rather shocked that every tree is being choked to death by ivy. It is rampant and I just don't understand why some land care group has not tried to remove it, to allow the trees to breath. It is as if no one notices the ivy nor cares what it is doing.

and as you travel through beautiful towns and villages, the serenity is destroyed by harrier jets flying overhead.


and yes, like I have mentioned, I am homesick. I am really looking forward to going home. still over 3 weeks to go though. I thought it would be easy to be away from home at Christmas. But I am missing the smells.. the Christmas cake soaking in brandy when I open my pantry door, the smell of vanilla and cinnamon when I enter my little home in Katoomba. I am missing the lights in the houses at home. The jolliness of every one wishing each other a Merry Christmas, when we are out and about. Not once, has anyone wished us this, in any shop or tea room since we arrived in Cornwall.
that said, we are loving the Christmas decorations here. they are beautiful and tomorrow night, we hope to go driving through the villages just to look

like I said to a friend in an email:
I am thoroughly enjoying my time here.. Cornwall is beautiful, I can see that.. just not like I saw in my minds eye. I am experiencing all that I wish to ..and meeting so many people who are telling me stories,and of course, buying some lovely things as I go. so I am not at all disappointed that I came. it has settled the ghosts for me

7 comments:

  1. I have many of the same pictures of Lands End. I so wish I could be there but I can't and I know I'd miss my home as much as you miss yours. If I remember correctly, Brits don't generally start Christmas greetings till closer to Christmas. I know I don't, even living here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am beginning to KNOW that it does not matter what you believe.. whether in the christian way, the earth/pagan way, a mix of a few beliefs or your own spirituality.. as long as it touches a deep part withing your being and brings peace.. then it is ok.. because no-one knows your own truth................

    I COULD not agree more! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet people will start wishing you a Merry Christmas when it's closer to the actual date. It's still only December 12!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess it gives new meaning to the English Christmas carol The Holly and the Ivy. You'll remember the profusion of December ivy around the trees in England. Our poor old ivy is getting scorched in the heat here!
    Your travels reinforce to me that everyone's experiences are unique. We were told by various Australians and British not to bother to go to Land's End - we would be charged to go beyond a certain point - there was not much there there etc etc.
    I read what you have written and realize I probably would have liked it, and you found it a highlight - but then some could not understand my fascination with the moors.
    As always, love your photos Robyn. Thanks for posting them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely right, no one knows your own truth... and what touches your own deep part and brings peace is what counts. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ivy is a natural part of our flora - it doesn't kill the trees actually, and it is home and shelter for many species of birds and insects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ivy is a natural part of our flora - it doesn't kill the trees actually, and it is home and shelter for many species of birds and insects.

    ReplyDelete