About Me

My photo
here I am in a little cottage that evokes the energies of my ancestral lands - a cottage on the moors of Cornwall, or on the cliff tops of Ireland or Scotland. It has a hearth. I am a hedge witch {of sorts}. I wear upcycled clothes, patchouli oil and Redback boots. I am a gypsy; an eccentric and a mystic [I often live with a foot in two worlds]. I serve my guests, tea from an old silver teapot. I love Vervain, yarrow, chamomile & mint. Star watcher and Moon gazer. story cloth weaver. keeper of family dreams and wishes. good friend and creator of life. herbal tea drinker and potion maker.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas day at Fowey


had a very restless night.. was it excitement over Santa coming or too much to eat and drink the night before.. I tossed and turned all night.. finally waking at 4.40am to call home... then dozed off to sleep, until I heard Joe say that someone was knocking at our door.. 'don't be stupid, I replied'.  I thought it was just another crazy dream that I was having.. but no.. someone was definitely knocking on our door.. opening it, a man with a phone saying 'call from Australia'... it was our friends Avis & Bill.. calling us, to wish us a Merry Christmas.. or Happy Christmas as the english say..


 
after chatting for some time, i went to put the phone outside the door and found a Christmas stocking had been placed for us! That was so exciting to find.. i really feel as if I am experiencing the Christmas that i had hoped for... it is cold outside and Santa left a stocking..

we proceeded to unwrap our gifts - from the Fowey Hotel and from each other [the deal was that we would buy a stocking each and we would buy little gifts for each other, to put into the stocking.. of course, we didn't listen to our own plan and ended up having to wrap some of the gifts!!]


I was surprised to find a box for me [tongue in cheek - I had put it there... but this was a gift from me to myself... and I wanted it to be a memory that I would have forever]... a gold box

A little red dress-coat!!
it won't fit me now.. especially after all the scones, victorian sponge, yorkshire puddings, shortbread, mulled wine and christmas cheer... but I can alter it to become a true reflection of my journey..


and a clementine in the bottom of the stocking.. apparently a tradition here..
 i am thankful.. it could have been a lump of coal!

and this is our Christmas loot...
not bad for someone who is away overseas without friends or relatives.. an abundant Christmas in many ways.

then a quick walk around the village before lunch ...

a five course extravaganza of eating. the sun was shining!

and of course, Christmas is never Christmas without the silly hats.. doesn't matter where you are.

first course was a tiny bowl of butternut squash & pimento soup

followed by


smoked salmon roulade with dill and caviar

I chose Turkey with stuffing for my main. I tucked into the broccoli, beans, sprouts and carrots with gusto.. how I miss simple steamed vegies!!!
[I am actually starting to feel and look like a stuffed turkey with all the food I am eating!!]

we shared a chocolate concoction for dessert and took a cheese platter into the drawing room to sit and share with a glass of port.. half way through that, I had to go for a nap....
then i woke and we went for another walk. This time up to Saints Way.


then back to the hotel to listen to the Queens speech. Well, we didn't actually listen to it,because we are not that interested in Liz, Phil and Charlie in Buck House...


then tea and stollen was served at 4pm... by this time I am feeling very much like a little round ball with short legs and arms.. and the word detox keeps screaming in my head.. not liking these voices much at all!

dinner is served between 7pm and 9... can we fit any more in?... more to the point.... do we need to eat any more?
but i want to taste each and every thing that is offered, because the chance will never come again. truthfully, I am over scones. and Victorian sponge.
so here we sit.. stuffed turkeys..
tomorrow Boxing Day..

 

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've had a wonderful Christmas! And what else is Christmas all about except eating too much? At least that's my tradition, LOL. We're just about to sit down to Xmas dinner here in about an hour and I can then practice what I preach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boxing day clear-up going on here Robyn - putting away the silly hats to reappear next year - what would Christmas Day be without them - delightful photo of you in yours - and love the reappearance of the little red dress. Thanks for your recent Christmas wishes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So if you went to the top floor to one of the little rooms up there that is the place I have abiding memories of when I stayed there as a child. Window open hearing the sea, having a supper of milk and biscuits and then snuggling down in our beds with our teddies to await the next days adventures down in the gardens and down to the sea. I hope your're memory bank will take good memories back of one of my favorite places. Have a wonderful new year and safe journey home.
    x

    ReplyDelete